Have you ever ever linked to a spot immediately? Regardless that you might have by no means been to that place earlier than, the second you land there you are feeling you’re at residence? Effectively, Chiang Mai was precisely that for me. I’m in love with Chiang Mai and I liked all the things concerning the place, the landscapes, temples, elephant camps and the folks. On this publish, I’ll listing down all of the locations to go to in Chiang Mai.
PIN for later reference
This text could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For full data, please see our affiliate disclaimer right here.
About Chiang Mai
As soon as the capital of impartial Lanna kingdom, Chiang Mai is a metropolis within the northern a part of Thailand. Well-known for its historic temples and landscapes, Chiang Mai was based within the 12 months 1296. With only a few vacationers and fewer crime price, Chiang Mai is likely one of the most secure locations for solo vacationers.
- The most effective time to go to Chiang Mai is between the months of October and April because the climate is nice and funky. That is additionally the height season which signifies that there will probably be extra vacationers than regular. January is the coldest month in Chiang Mai.
- You want no less than 3 to 4 days to discover and canopy the locations in Chiang Mai. There are various issues to do in and across the metropolis.
- One of the simplest ways to discover Chiang Mai is by shopping for TAGTHAi someday or three days move. That is extra economical approach of exploring many sights in Chiang Mai.
Locations to go to in Chiang Mai
There are various issues to do in Chiang Mai From the native markets and eating places, to spectacular historic temples, Chiang Mai has one thing to supply to every kind of vacationers. There are round 24 Buddhist temples in Chiang Mai alone.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
Whereas my good friend and I have been strolling round in Chiang Mai metropolis, we unintentionally met a taxi driver named Mon. He was the one who knowledgeable us about Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple. And he talked about that the temple was the primary spot to go to in Chiang Mai.
Situated on Doi Suthep mountain, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is a Buddhist temple. The temple dates again to 1383 and is taken into account as one of the vital sacred temples in Thailand. As this can be a non secular web site, the guests should gown appropriately and take away footwear earlier than getting into the temple.
Adorned with gold coated domes, the temple is huge and grand. With numerous Buddha statues and domes, the temple is housed in a big advanced and each nook tells the story of Buddha.
At a peak of 1676 metres, the temple is located on prime of a mountain and also you want a automobile to succeed in to the bottom of the temple. From the bottom or the ticketing workplace, the temple could be reached by two methods:
- One by climbing round 309 steps and
- Different by taking a cable automobile (which prices round Thai Bhat 50 per particular person return).
Based on legend, a monk named Sumanathera had a dream and in his dream he was requested to go to Pang Cha and discover a relic. When he ventured, he discovered a bone which many claimed was Gautama Buddha’s shoulder bone. The relic displayed magical powers and it glowed.
Sumanathera took the relic to Sukhothai’s king King Dharmaraja. Sadly, the relic didn’t show any powers and the king uncertain of the authenticity of relic requested Sumanathera to maintain the relic with him. With King Dharmaraja’s permission, Sumanathera took the relic to King Nu Naone of Lan Na. The relic broke into two items, the place one was enshined Wat Suan Dok and the opposite piece was positioned on a white elephant and despatched again to the forest. The elephant is claimed to have climbed the mountain as much as Doi Suthep, the place the elephant stopped, trumpeted 3 times and died. After this incident, the king instantly gave orders to assemble the temple.
- The temple is round 15 kilometres from the Chiang Mai metropolis and by highway, the journey takes about half-hour.
- Taxi costs to the temple – Mon, the taxi driver, charged us Thai Bhat 800 for a return journey.
- Timings of the temple: 6 AM to eight PM each day.
- There’s an entrance payment of 30 Thai Bhat.
- Cable automobile trip – The extra price for visiting the temple is Thai Bhat 50 per particular person (return) for the cable automobile trip.
Wat Umong Suan Phutthatham
One of many oldest temples in Chiang Mai is Wat Umong Suan Phutthatham. Stated to be greater than 700 years outdated, the temple was constructed by King Mangrai of the Lan Na dynasty. Well-known for its historic tunnels and enormous chedi, the Buddhist temple has many points of interest such because the Speaking timber (with phrases of knowledge in Thai and English languages), work, library/museum and plenty of extra. Be aware that the temple can also be referred to as because the Tunnel temple.
- The temple is round 6 kilometres from the Chiang Mai metropolis and by highway, the journey takes just a bit greater than 10 minutes.
- Timings of the temple: 5 AM to eight PM each day.
- There isn’t a entrance payment.
Wat Chedi Luang
One other historic temple in Chiang Mai is Wat Chedi Luang which is round 600 years outdated. Regardless that the temple’s development started within the 14th century when King Saen Muang Ma deliberate to bury his father’s ashes, the temple was completed solely by mid fifteenth century.
- The temple is in Chiang Mai metropolis and you may stroll to the temple if you’re staying at metropolis centre.
- Timings of the temple: 5 AM to 10 PM each day.
- There’s an entrance payment of 40 Thai Bhat per grownup and 20 Thai Bhat per little one.
Native market at Night time Bazaar highway
Night time Bazaar highway is situated in Chiang Mai metropolis centre and is residence to the most effective native markets in Chiang Mai. From native souvenirs to scrumptious avenue meals, the native market at Night time Bazaar highway affords all the things to vacationers.
- The market is open each day between 5 PM and 11 PM. And the busiest time is round 7 PM.
- Guarantee to haggle on the costs quoted.
Situated within the southern a part of Chiang Mai province, Chom Thong has many issues to do, together with Doi Inthanon Nationwide park.
At a peak of 80 metres, Wachirathan waterfall is a superb cease over within the Chom Thong district. Often known as Diamond Creek falls, it is likely one of the outstanding and delightful waterfall in Thailand.
- The waterfall is open each day between 6 AM and 5 PM and is on the best way to the summit of Doi Unthanon.
- There’s an entrance payment to enter the nationwide park and it’s about 50 Thai Bhat per grownup.
Doi Inthanon Nationwide Park
Well-known for its waterfalls, trails, view factors, the Doi Inthanon Nationwide park is a someday journey from Chiang Mai.The nationwide park is residence to Thailand’s highest mountain Doi Inthanon and the nationwide park can also be referred to as because the roof of Thailand. Standing tall at 1676 metres, Doi Inthanon mountain could be climbed and there are 306 steps to get to the summit.
- The nationwide park is round 70 kilometres from Chiang Mai metropolis and by highway, the journey takes as much as one hour half-hour.
- It’s also possible to take a someday tour from Chiang Mai that price about 600 Thai Bhat.
- There’s a temple on the prime of Doi Inthanon and guests can go to the temple without cost.
- It’s good to cowl your head while you go to the temple and put on acceptable clothes. No shorts or revealing garments.
- To enter the temple, guarantee to depart your foot put on exterior. No sneakers or slippers allowed inside.
Weekend journey to Wat Rong Khun (The White temple) in Chiang Rai
In style for its wonderful and complex structure, Wat Rong Khun is a privately owned artwork exhibit in Chiang Rai. The temple is white in color representing the purity of Buddha and is also called the White temple.
- The temple is round 175 kilometres from Chiang Mai metropolis and by highway, the journey takes as much as 3 hours.
- Timings of the temple: 8 AM to five PM each day.
- There’s an entrance payment of fifty Thai Bhat per grownup.
- As it’s a temple, it’s good to put on acceptable clothes.
get to Chiang Mai?
The gap between Bangkok and Chiang Mai is round 700 kilometres. The quickest option to get to Chiang Mai is by flight which takes nearly 1 hour. There’s good connectivity between the cities by Air Asia and the price of a method ticket from Bangkok and Chiang Mai is round USD 40 to 70.
If in case you have a transit cease in Bangkok and have only a few hours within the metropolis, then learn methods to spend a number of hours in Bangkok so you can also make the very best use of your transit time.
Chiang Mai may also be reached by trains and buses from Bangkok. The prepare or a bus takes round 10 to 11 hours journey however are the most cost effective mode of journey and prices lower than USD 20 for a method.
Transportation inside Chiang Mai
Lease a motorcycle
Essentially the most economical option to journey inside Chiang Mai metropolis is by renting a motor bike. There are various locations the place you possibly can hire a motorcycle and it’s good to have a global bike licence to trip inside the metropolis. The bike rental (for a gearless two wheeler) is round 450 Thai Bhat per day.
Mon, taxi driver’s contact particulars
It was by chance that my good friend and I met this wonderful taxi driver named Mon. We took a 3 hours journey with him and he charged us an affordable fare. He’s very pleasant and extra importantly he’s native. He is aware of a lot of the stuff and in addition tells you the historical past of the locations. I might undoubtedly advocate him, particularly if you’re a solo traveler and would wish to discover Chiang Mai.
- Mon’s telephone quantity is 065-6949404 in the event you want to contact him. Say hey from me while you go to him!
Don’t forget to get the well-known Thai Therapeutic massage
Evaluation | Gold Hand Thai Therapeutic massage
Who doesn’t love physique massages, particularly if they’re Thai massages? Who doesn’t love pampering? I’m positive everybody loves them and likewise I like them too. Whereas I used to be in Chiang Mai, I received physique massages executed nearly on a regular basis. I attempted numerous locations to search out that proper therapeutic massage centre that had the very best ambiance and masseur. One place which was very good and low cost was the Gold Hand Thai Therapeutic massage. This therapeutic massage centre is on the Night time Bazaar highway and I need to say they have been wonderful. The employees could be very pleasant and the therapeutic massage very stress-free. I might extremely advocate them for the very best therapeutic massage within the metropolis.
Security for solo feminine vacationers
Completely sure! Chiang Mai could be very protected for solo feminine vacationers. Regardless that I traveled to the town with a good friend, I can nonetheless vouch that the town is protected and pleasant to the vacationers. Nonetheless, like another metropolis on the planet, be cautious and know your environment, particularly at night time.
Having visited a number of cities in Thailand, I can for positive say that Chiang Mai is likely one of the most stunning locations in Thailand. The town will at all times be particular for me and despite the fact that I’ve been there already, I nonetheless really feel I can return and uncover extra locations.
Have you ever been to Chiang Mai? What did you want concerning the metropolis? Let me know within the feedback under.
If you’re in search of excursions and journeys? Then undoubtedly try Viator.
If you happen to appreciated this text, do remark, tweet, or share this publish.
Comply with me on Instagram | Fb | YouTube | Twitter
Do you might have a query? Or need any options, and ideas for travels, hikes and scuba dives? Use the Subscription field under to sign-up and get updates by e-mail.
For financial savings in your journey insurance coverage, try the Journey Insurance coverage Saver.
PIN for later reference